Monday, February 8, 2010

Fort Worth's Newest Pussy Cat: Cat City Grill



I know this is old news, but I am trying to keep current with new restaurants in our wonderful city Fort Worth. It seems like just when Magnolia Ave seemed to be overshadowed by the new 7th street addition (Tillman's). Magnolia Ave fires back with its newest addition, a conglomeration between Lili's owner Vance Martin and Martin Thompson former chef of Del Frisco's, CLinkat City Grill.
To begin, my hopes are very high. I am an avid fan of Lili's and Vance Martin's operation on Magnolia. Cat City Grill can't go in at a better location, during a better time on Magnolia with staples like Ellerbe's, Lili's and Paris Coffee Shop holding down the block. But with the addition of Cat City Grill, Magnolia is going to get hot, like Nelly "Hot In Here" hot. Plus after dinner is done, Fort Worth's newest bar, The Usual is also a great new location to spend the rest of the night.
As far as Cat City goes, I am going to take a brief look at what I have heard and seen:
Food: The menu is up and looks fantastic, no prices are available yet, but I can imagine lunch would run between 12-20 dollars and dinner 20-30 dollars.

Lunch: Looks somewhat similar to the Lili's lunch menu and of course they will have the Lili's staple: gorgonzola fries. But other than that sandwiches, chicken fried steaks, and po-boys.

Dinner: Surprisingly somewhat of a simple menu(which is never necessarily a bad thing i.e Tillman's), appetizers, salads, seafood, steaks and specialties. Appetizers - can't wait to taste the Lobster Bites. Salads- Tortellini Antipasti looks outstanding and unique, other salads will include a wedge, caesar and the regulars. Steaks- nothing to complicated. Sides - I love grits, especially jalapeno cheese grits. Specialties- I spot the King Ranch Chicken, I assume this will be similar to the King Ranch Chicken at Lili's (which is fantastic for a hangover). The specialities also remind of Grady's on Forest Park. But what I am really getting wild about is the Stuffed Cornish Game Hen, whew.

Drink: Nothing has been posted online, but there is a "happy hour" section on the web page. I am assuming they will be serving liquor not just wine and beer. Unlike Lili's, from my understanding of the layout, they will have a "formal area" they will call a bar, crossing my fingers for some good bartenders.

Overall my hopes are high, I just wish they opened before Valentine's Day so I could make up an excuse to go all out at a new restaurant. But Cat City Grill opens up February 15th(the day after Valentine's Day dumb ass), hope to see everyone there. Guess I will be enjoying two nice meals that week...sorry?

Enjoy yourself,
-J
BLOG UPDATE:
A couple things that need to be addressed.
  • I am working on the blog design, I know the pictures and lay out are very boring.
  • I enjoy comments so please post anything you would like to see or hear about
  • Have your friends follow me on facebook or twitter.
  • I am going to try to post twice a week, I will be traveling quite a extensively in the next month but I will try to revisit some old Fort Worth staples along with some of the new.

1 comment:

  1. I too had high expectations for Cat City Grill as Lili's Bistro is maybe my favorite restaurant in Fort Worth. But after going for dinner last night I have to say I was very disappointed. The atmosphere had an intimate feel which I loved, but pretty much everything else fell short (minus the gorgonzola fries, of course). Our waiter was very accommodating, prompt, and pleasant but didn't seem that knowledgeable about the menu items. I ended up ordering the salmon and subbing jalapeno cheese grits for the bok choy. The $19 salmon was about the same quality as what I could get in TCU's dining hall, the asparagus overcooked. The waiter forgot my grits. He quickly brought an order out after I reminded him and I have to say they were delicious. My companion ordered the spinach salad which she said was good, but nothing to write home about. We also tried the sweet potato gnocchi which was very different from anything I've ever tasted but I can't say I would ever order again. Our tab was $65 including two glasses of wine. Overall, I don't feel Cat City is worth the price. I may give it another go for lunch to try their sandwiches (the sandwiches were not offered on the dinner menu). Save a few bucks and stick with Lili's.

    ReplyDelete