Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pour House: Fort Worth Meets Jersey Shore


Here it finally comes, my first bar posting, this should be good. When the Pourhouse relocated to West 7th Street I had high expectations and was excited to be blessed with a new bar in one of my favorite areas of Fort Worth. What I got with my new bar was the "Gremlinish" multiplication of "Affliction" T-Shirt, Ripped Jean, hair gel-ed, "bros" in my backyard. Similar to my food section I will break down the Pour House in 3 categories: crowd, atmosphere and the bar. The bar includes drink selection and service.


Atmosphere: I want to say I like the set up inside, it has a ton of open space, not too many chairs and tables. The atmosphere is not set up like a club despite the presence of the patrons. The patio can make for a good afternoon drink but I can't really say I would enjoy watching traffic leave downtown or stare at Montgomery Plaza (even though there are a good amount of Rivercrest Mommies that hang out there). I hate that there is valet, I mean valet at a damn bar, here go get shit faced and then let someone ELSE get your car for you, so you can drive it home blackout. Stupid. This is not Vegas, Miami, or Dallas. The live music is decent and can actually be fun if your blackout. I also love three mile hike from the door to the bar. I mean by the time I actually get in the door, get grinded on by every guy in line, pay the bouncer some foolish cover (while girls get in free), get soliciated for a cigarrette by some chick from Frisco and finally make it to the bar it's ready to close down.


Reminiscent of a "club" there is a bathroom attendant and generally a bunch of Jersey trash hanging out in the bathroom talking about what girl they just bought 20 shots of Jager for her and her fat friends. I also don't like that there are FWPD just hanging out inside, I realize security is a big issue for these guys (see Frisco trash bros) but COME ON. I am trying to have a good time here, I want to be able to drink leisurely, not have the "po-lice" look at me slam down my RBV ( Red Bull Vodka) and grind on some random girl. So my aforementioned concerns are already resulting in a terrible night, I haven't even met the patrons, terrible will go to downright awful.


The crowd: Sucks. Fort Worth is small enough that I thought we could keep all the guidos and guidets (female guido) inside the downtown perimeter. Not anymore. When the Pour House moved down onto 7th they brought all their friends with them. I used to enjoy the crowd on 7th. But now I feel like every night is Spring Break down on 7th.


I have been in Pour House and witnessed four "bros" slamming their hands on the table screaming "shhhhhhooootttttzzz" guess what they were shooting... big surprise... Jager. That gasoline flavored shit should be illegal South of the Mason Dixon line. Another fun fact: the people who work at "bro" bars are "bros". So not only do I get to hang out with the "bros" I have to buy my shitty drinks from them, double fun. I have almost gotten my ass kicked almost 7 times in that bar and I have been three times. I have a feeling that it has to do with the "bros" going straight from the gym to the bar. Not to mention the girls there suck as well, pound of make-up, smoking flavored cigarettes, wearing items that don't fit, etc. You get the picture.


The drinks: Service is actually decent (even though I have had one bad experience). Drinks are reasonably priced as well. The bar is a big square in the middle of the bar, dotted with beer bars on several corners. Drinks come out relatively quickly but are weak. I believe they use the 1.5 oz a shot rule, which, if you are trying to have a great night, this makes things difficult. So my bad experience is short and sweet but goes like this: I walk into Pour House after a post dinner drink session at Chimy's. I consumed two drinks and completely fine. Not the "completely fine" where I will get on the dance floor and drop it like I am a New Orleans stripper during Mardi Gras or the type of fine when you drop your keys twice and then drive fine. I am not smoking, not taking shots, and not dancing fine. So I stroll to the bar and I am greeted by my good friend who offers myself and my girlfriend a shot. Of course I accept. But our friendly bar tender lets my girlfriend AND my friend know I am completely out of control and she will not serve me. NOT ONLY do they stop serving me but everyone else in our party. So the fun stops for my friend, girlfriend and I. This was the last time I went to the Pour House.

Typical crowd pictured above hair gel (far left corner), top that doesn't fit(center right) flat bills and excessively abnoxious sideburns(see all).

Overall: I can't really say anything positive about this place... I mean I could have fun there if I was plastered, but I could have fun playing bridge at Shady Oak's with my grandparents and their friends if I was plastered. At least I don't have to worry about my grandfathers friends don't fake tan and have hair gel. I mean seriously how many rips can a pair of jeans be worth. Pour House lost major points for the following reasons: drinks are weak, crowd is terrible, having an overall lame set up, and failing to capitalize on the massive amount of space they have.


Verdict:3/10

The Pour House

2725 West 7th Street
Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 335-2575
Open Daily 11am-2am





1 comment:

  1. A few comments if I may...
    1. I do not see any flat bills in the aforementioned picture.
    2. I believe that when you say that you are "fine", in laments terms that means you are borderline blackout drunk a la Stone Canyon 2006.
    3. Of course you have to mention Chimy's...

    ReplyDelete